[ExI] OWS Rolling in the Mud

Kevin G Haskell kgh1kgh2 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 10:28:36 UTC 2011

Message: 7
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 22:20:33 -0700
From: Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com>
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] OWS Rolling in the Mud

2011/11/13 Kevin G Haskell <kgh1kgh2 at gmail.com>:
> Giovanni Santostasi's first reply to Kevin G Haskell, and Kevin's
response:
> There would be a lot more types of people like Steve Jobs if people were
> properly educated in our public schools on how to start and effectively
run
> businesses.? They don't, so most creative people feel confined to
practicing
> within the career they were were trained within, and not taking those
skills
> to a higher level to expanding it.

>>On December 1st, I am going to a fifth grade all day exercise where
they set up little mini businesses, and try to make a microcosm of
capitalism for the day. I will be sure and report back how well they
are educating the fifth graders. Interestingly, my son is a special
needs student, and he is still invited as long as I escort him. That's
pretty cool from my point of view.

So, perhaps this sort of education is not entirely dead... just "mostly
dead"...

-Kelly<<

Good start, Kelly.  In middle school, We had fake money and budgets. I
remember doing that for one week.  I ended up running out of money, and had
no idea why.  Had the training gone on for the entire year, or years, every
student who graduated high school would have been extremely well versed on
how to manage their own fiances and credit, probably obtained a good idea
about how Capitalist macroeconomics work, and the ability to run a business
if they so chose, as well.  If you can get around your school dictators,
perhaps you could repeat that form of teaching throughout the year whenever
you can.

As for now, good for you, and good luck, as well.

Kevin