[ExI] Movie review: Melancholia

john clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 25 20:57:10 UTC 2011

I just saw the science fiction film Melancholia and it is is easily the worst movie I have ever spent money to see, or at least the first hour is, I can't comment on the remainder because I did something I have not done in over 25 years, I walked out of the theater before the movie was over. This turkey gives us a "plot" that is pretentious amateurish ridiculous and dull, characters with vapid dialog who emote with LONG vacant stares at the camera and try to convince us (unsuccessfully) that their melancholia means they are deep and not just self indulgent or have a chemical imbalance, and those aren't even the worst things about this movie.

If Mr. von Trier can't give us something interesting to think about he could have at least presented something for us to look at without making one seasick, but apparently Mr. von Trier got a new zoom lens for his birthday and he was eager to try it out, so he zooms in, and then he zooms out, and then he zooms in, and then he zooms out again, and then he zooms way way way in and figures that would be the perfect time for a swish pan, and all the time he's playing with the zoom he's holding the camera as if fire ants were crawling up his pant legs and he was trying to shake them off. And I'm not just talking about one bad scene I'm talking about the entire first hour, perhaps the entire movie but I wouldn't know about that. Even Ed Wood knew more about how to move a camera than Mr. von Trier, I'm serious, Plan Nine from Outer Space showed more technical skill than Melancholia; so I would humbly suggest that before Mr. von Trier makes another home movie he
 sell his zoom lens and use the money to buy a tripod.

 John K Clark