[ExI] More on Neutrinos

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Oct 1 04:55:44 UTC 2011

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of john clark
Subject: Re: [ExI] More on Neutrinos

On Fri, 9/30/11, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>>."To compare neutrinos to electrons and protons assumes they have mass.
If they do not have mass, then they must be going exactly at c.  If they do
have mass, they must be going slower.  Otherwise, our understanding of
physics is all wrong."

>.A neutrino must have mass but not necessarily real mass. so if a neutrino
is moving faster than light and has real energy it must have an imaginary
mass;and thus the faster it goes the less energy it has.

Ja, I have done that derivation, but the whole imaginary mass thing just
gives me the heebies.  I am struggling to not be such a physics church lady
however, keeping an open mind.

The imaginary mass notion comes up in gravitational derivations as well.  I
recall from a long time ago trying to figure out the shape of the event
horizon if you have two black holes of ten solar masses each, co-orbiting at
1 AU.  Now imagine a particle coming in from far away along a line about
which the two black holes co-orbit.  I vaguely recall some interesting
consequences of that thought experiment.  I need to fish it out of my green
notebooks.  It's something like you can use emission of imaginary mass
particles to balance the energy. oy, it has been so long.

>>. "Oh this is exciting"

>.Yes, but if it turns out that this was all caused because somebody forgot
to convert inches to centimeters or something I'm going to be pissed..  John
K Clark

I would have dismissed it as an error long before now had it been anyone but
CERN.  Those guys have buttloads of credibility, and you can be sure they
don't want to waste any of it.  I can imagine they checked and rechecked a
dozen times before anyone was allowed to say anything.  Even if it turns out
to be an error, the error itself is likely to be highly educational at this
point.