[ExI] The End of the Future

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 18:20:13 UTC 2011

>>…I have beating this drum for a while now, and I am happy to see some
>> converging voices:
> http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/278758/end-future-peter-thiel?page=1.
>
> Excellent Stefano!  I glanced at the article quickly, as we all often do,
> read a few sentences and noticed that every single sentence is filled with
> interesting information and insightful comments.  So I read it all, growing
> more impressed all the way, then after the fact discovered it was written by
> Peter Thiel.  I have met him  personally, heard his talks at the Singularity
> conferences.  Do watch this very impressive guy, read everything he posts.
> He is one of the extraordinary ones whose voice needs to be heard.

I had exactly the opposite reaction.  It struck me as a lot of bawwing and
nothing on how to actually fix the problem.

Analysis and introspection about the current situation, are only useful
insofar as they point their way to solutions.  Analysis about how terrible
everything is, conducted only for its own sake (and/or the emotional
release from affirming that nothing oneself can do matters), is a form of
masturbation.  Specifically, it is called "disasterbation".