[ExI] The End of the Future

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 22:30:54 UTC 2011

2011/10/3 spike <spike66 at att.net>

> So while we rejoice in the development of all these things, keep in mind
> that this kind of development might be a one-time event.  The next thirty
> years might not be as much fun as was the last thirty, for computer geeks.

Or for anybody. And I contend that while "progress" has become more and more
"virtual", more and more a mere simulacrum, even in computing the decade
1981-1991 or even that 1991-2001 was *much* more fun than 2001-2011. What is
Facebook other than a trivial implementation performed by dwarves standing
on the shoulders of giants?

Let us not confuse when the Internet was "invented" (the seventies of the XX
c) and when it became ubiquitous. The real progress took place with the
first thing, not the second.

--
Stefano Vaj