[ExI] The twists & turns of politics & idealism (was: The End of the Future)

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Oct 5 22:04:31 UTC 2011

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Amon Zero

>.I'd rather check we've got the right omelette recipe before we start
cracking eggs!

Good idea.  Note the difference between a tea party rally and Occupy Wall
Street.  I read the signs for Occupy and I am completely flummoxed.  I don't
know what they want.  Do you?  It is easy to tell how the tea party feels,
but Occupy seems like a huge collection of incompatible elements.  OK, so
now you have occupied Wall Street.  Now what?  The business that goes on
there doesn't necessarily require physical presence.

>.Arresting extant politicians under laws meant for organised crime doesn't
strike me as a plausible or even desirable option, but i do appreciate the
effort to make sense of a clearly ambiguous statement on my part.

Amon, you are not alone.  I see the interviews with the occupiers, and have
yet to see a coherent statement on what is the actual goal.  The tea party
doesn't seem to suffer from that.  Their message is perfectly clear: smaller
government, Taxed Enough Already.  So is Occupy ready to stand up for bigger
government?  How big?  Is occupy ready to define what they mean by tax the
rich?  How rich?  How much?

>.So no arresting politicians, then. Now *bankers*, on the other hand...
;-)

Hmmm, ja.  Better think that one through just a bit.

>.I'd rather check we've got the right omelette recipe before we start
cracking eggs!   - A