[ExI] An Elegy for the Age of Space

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 11:35:01 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> The renewable substitution rate is on an exponential track so far
> http://www.heise.de/tp/artikel/35/35671/1.html </kraut>
>
> Insanity might not prevail, after all. Let's talk again 2040-2050ish.
>
> The replacement for fossil hydrocarbons is synthetic hydrocarbons,
> using renewable energy input.

So, we put large space projects on hold for 30 or 40 years (hobbyists
allowed) while we retool everything to make sure the lights don't go
out?

The first use of solar power will be light and heat, water
desalination and recharging batteries for every device we have.
Oil is not only used for energy of course. Plastic products come from
oil. So until we have enough spare solar energy capacity to create
synthetic hydrocarbons there will be shortages.

With all that and developments in other areas, it will be a very
different world in 2040-2050, when humans might consider space
projects again. I wonder what their priorities will be then?

BillK