[ExI] Relativistic Uploads

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 17 10:23:02 UTC 2011

I have a thought pertaining to the oft argued idea that space travel would be unpopular with posthumans because of subjective time slowing down to due to the higher clockspeed of a solid state substrate. I suddenly realized that if this subjective time speed up is quantitized as a ratio s=T/T0 then at a certain velocity v less than the speed of light, s would be equal to gamma from relativity (ie. 1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2). So in theory, a space-faring posthuman could accelerate to gamma=s and then their subjective time would be equal to time in the Earth frame of reference i.e. stationary observer. So then that v would be v=c*Sqrt(s^2-1)/s.

So for example if the upload "lives" one thousand times faster than a human earth observer, then by going .9999995c, it would experience the same subjective time of flight to the destination as a normal clock at either the origin or destination. So if the post-human flew to proxima centauri at .9999995c then it would seem to take the posthuman 4.22 years by it's own clock meanwhile an identical 4.22 years would have passed for a normal human on earth.

So I think the whole time slow-down issue will not severely discourage space-travel amongst post-humans should they be able to achieve relativistic speeds. Let me know what you all think.

Stuart LaForge

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things bought
and sold are legislators." - P. J. O'Rourke