[ExI] thrun and his autonomous golfcarts

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Oct 20 05:05:17 UTC 2011

Sebastian Thrun is one of the Stanford guys who is giving the free AI class
online.  Here's what he's up to these days:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/artificial-intelligence/how-goog
le-self-driving-car-works

Here's my insight.  We know that to get a really high mileage car, we would
need to give up something, most likely acceleration.  We love our Detroits
that can accelerate at .7G, and will not stand for anything that cannot
manage about .3G.  But if we were along for the ride and not standing on the
gas, we would perhaps tolerate much lower acceleration, which is what you
get with a series hybrid.  If we go with a series hybrid, we save a lot of
weight, but they are not fast and they don't accelerate hard.  But if we are
reading a book or surfing the internet, we don't really care that much, ja?