[ExI] Is Transhumanism Coercive?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 07:40:19 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 11:47 PM, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> I read through this whole thread, and didn't see anyone make the point
> that we've more or less already made this decision. Today, anyone who
> wishes to remain relevant to the larger society must, of competitive
> necessity, become a fyborg. If you don't have your smart phone and
> computer at the ready, or haven't yet obtained the latest iGadget,
> then you are viewed as somehow out of touch with the leading edge of
> the zeitgeist.
>
> So, in the competitive sense, we're already coerced into being fyborgs
> today... how is being transhuman going to be any different than what's
> already happening?
>
> Will those who don't chose enhancement be Amish? Perhaps eventually,
> but not for a while. They'll just become gradually more irrelevant.
> Something like today's high school graduates (or worse drop outs). If
> you're just a high school graduate today, you're treated like a second
> class citizen by the market place (unless you are a huge outlier.)

I agree with this, but would like to take it a bit further.

As tech advances, it looks as though the market place needs fewer and
fewer people. So most of the population will be ignored by the market
place, except as consumers. And, as we see now, consumers only consume
essentials when they don't have spare cash.

The world is changing around us.

BillK