[ExI] Halloween costumes

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 08:01:23 UTC 2011

Spike wrote:
An astronaut is not a future themed character, it’s retro themed.  The whole
space program seems like a piece of 21st century techno-adventure, ripped
out of its time and dropped into the middle of the 20th century.

I realize the space race of the 20th century was motivated largely by
national rivalries, and so is viewed by some as having happened earlier than
it would have normally.  I think right now we are taking a "pause" in part
due to so much money spent on war and financial insanity, and also because
we need time for the so-called convergence (AGI, nano, biotech, robotics,
etc.) technologies to develop and give us a major advantage when we again
push into space in a major way.

I envision things heating up again in a big way when China builds a
permanent base on the Moon (circa 2020-2025) and looks at putting taikonauts
on Mars.  If America still has financial
muscle left, we will surely be competing with them as they carry out these
ventures.

And then Spike, you will not have to repeatedly say that to be an astronaut
is retro!  : )

John