[ExI] It might be, was Is Transhumanism Coercive?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Oct 26 13:18:43 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 12:46:08PM -0700, Keith Henson wrote:

> No, but it's not hard to imagine an infectious agent that would build
> a neural interface into every person it infects (perhaps everyone)
> which would give them access to the totality of information available
> to humans.

Now that would be definitely coercive, and not even for a discernible
worthwhile reason.

> It's not hard to project current smart cell phones into this development path.

I'm enjoying the Android ecosystem immensely. At long last I don't
have to roll my own wearable and break the bank in the process as
we had to live with in the 1990s, but order cheap stuff from Amazon and
buy app glue from the market that Just Works.

If anyone wants to tinker cheaply, I recommend B&N Nook color with CM7 and Huawei
Ideos (e.g. X3) with extra battery packs and a fanny pack. GPS tethering works
(at least via WLAN, not sure about Bluetooth), commercial battery
packs are available, wireless video and sensorics is coming along,
too. HMDs like http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/hmd-video-glasses are also
again available, hopefully soon as small HUDs as well.