[ExI] Pesky Neutrinos

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 31 12:25:25 UTC 2011

I have been considering the neutrinos problem since I first heard the news about the OPERA results. I have come up with at least a couple of testable hypotheses about what is going on. The first I will call the Information Loophole Hypothesis or H1 for short. The hypothesis is fairly straight forward. We know that quantum entanglement allows FTL "action" without violating causality except with regard to the entanglement phenomenon itself which is probabilistic and not causal. Therefore the phenomenon has not yet been able to allow FTL communication.

I propose H1 as follows:

The low collision cross-section of neutrinos and the probabilistic nature of their flavor-oscillation phenomenon conspire to render neutrinos unable to carry classical information at FTL velocities.

A consequence of this is that in order to be sure the recipient gets an accurate message, one would have to send so many copies of it and the recipent would have to statistically average all the copies to arrive at the "expected value" of the message that a simple radio wave could have done the job sooner. That is neutrinos can break the speed of light for QM reasons just like entanglement but similarly *cant* carry FTL info. So causality and Einstein are safe with regard to neutrinos if not with quantum entanglement.

Next time I'll tell you about H2 which is a bit rough on both causality and Einstein but more in a lewd than violent way.

Stuart LaForge

“Institutions will try to preserve the problem to which they are the solution." -Clay Shirky