[ExI] deathless meat

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 16:37:10 UTC 2011

2011/9/1 spike <spike66 at att.net>:

> Let’s hope they can work out this plan:
>

> http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/09/01/slaughter-free-stem-cell-meat-sausage-coming-soon/?test=latestnews
>

> The article goes off on a tangent about how the meat from stem cells doesn’t
> taste good, but they ignore the enormous breakthrough it would be.

"It's still in development."

That said - that there is an effort seriously looking into this is itself a
breakthrough.  Now they need to work on cost.  Food is incredibly cheap, in
the developed world, by historic standards, mainly because a lot of people have
put a lot of effort into improving the infrastructure for making and
delivering food.
The critical metric for a new food technology is $ per unit mass; the
particulars
of the technology, such as "no animals died to make this meat", give you a
multiplier off the competitive product that people will accept, but
that seems to
be less than 10 either way even for extreme benefits/problems.

In other words, this gets more interesting once they can sell this meat at a
profit (including shipping costs to a typical supermarket) for much less than
$50/lb.  If they can get it under (or even near) $5/lb. (which will take some
scaling up), that will threaten traditional meat production methods, which will
invoke politics; watch for astroturfing and groundless (no pun intended)
regulation at that time.

  Imagine