[ExI] Destructive uploading.

john clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 3 03:33:37 UTC 2011

On Fri, 9/2/11, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

"The original what?"

"The biological pattern"

The biological pattern of an animal is the ordered arrangement of cells, and the biological pattern of a cell is the structural framework of a system of atoms; so biological pattern is a function of information on where to place things.

Information can be duplicated, information can be uploaded, and its meaningless to talk about an original bit of information.

"in the same sense as you have the "same" body you were born with"

The same body? The body you have now looks very different from the one you were born with, and that body looked very different from the one celled zygote you looked like 9 months before that. What is the "same" in all this? The soul? I don't believe in the soul, I don't believe in a talking snake either, and putting two animals of every species in a ark would probably be rather unsanitary.

"even though you have replaced just about every atom within it at least once since birth."

That is true, so what's so original about this mythical beast called "The Original" if every single bit of it has been replaced many many times? I have asked this question often over the last decade on this list but have never once received a straight answer or even the hint of one.

 John K Clark