[ExI] Religion & transhumanism (not the usual!)

Amon Zero amon at doctrinezero.com
Tue Sep 6 14:34:11 UTC 2011

2011/9/6 Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com>

> If anything, making explicit references to a broad "religious" nature or
> compatibility of transhumanism puts us even more in the position of direct
> competitors to established churches and persuasions.
>
> Witch-hunting is certainly a time-honoured sport, but its popularity pales
> in comparison with burning heretics - who are after all in the same market
> and food chain - on the stake.

Hi Stefano -

Yes, I've replied there - but I agree that stressing the concept of religion
is almost certainly counter-productive in any number of ways. It's just that
reacting against it too forcefully might be similarly counter-productive. As
is the case with most things, my intuition is that there is probably some
optimal "middle way", as the Buddhists would say.

Besides which, I notice that 'true believers' don't tend to talk about
religion in the abstract the way non-believers do - perhaps because if
you've found your "One True Way" other points of view are unlikely to win
the same status as your own belief system.

- A