[ExI] Destructive uploading.

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 16:37:06 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 5:00 AM,  Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

snip

>> By Jove, I think you've got it!
>
> Indeed; and also providing a nice graded progression,
> sufficiently succicnt even for attention-deficient.

Call me attention-deficient if you want, but Moravec's description of
destructive uploading was just disgusting, with the husk of a body
going into spasm as the last of the brain was destructively scanned at
the bottom of a now empty skull.

My point is that really poor idea (from a marketing viewpoint) *isn't
needed.*  The same nanotechnology you need for destructive scanning
can be used to infiltrate the brain, initially as a neural interface
and later teaching a set of nanoprocessors how to act as your
biological brain would act.  There is no reason memory could not be
constructed in the biological brain while "you" were in an uploaded
state making the process completely reversible, even continuous
consciousness through an upload/download cycle.

The sub set of these discussions of making duplicates is the route to
abject poverty.

I know Robin Hansen talks about this as inevitable, and it may be that
economic forces make it come about.  But there are things that really
should be forbidden or at least tightly controlled, and this is one of
them.  If people think about it, and care to have a resource rich
world, I expect a rule of "one at a time" to be observed.  Sadly they
probably won't think about it before making duplicates.

Keith