[ExI] Destructive uploading.

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 00:42:10 UTC 2011

2011/9/6 Florent Berthet <florent.berthet at gmail.com>:

> So, when you say "I want to survive through uploading", you are really
> saying "I want the phenomenon of my consciousness to be able to run again on
> another substrate". So it's really an altruistic act: you are not doing this
> for you, but for a phenomenon that will feel like you. When you understand
> that, your sense of self vanishes, and being egoistic doesn't even makes
> sense anymore because you won't even profit from what you do: what you do
> will benefit to a future being that will be similar to you but will be a
> different physical experience.

When you say "I want to survive in this body for another year" you are
being altruistic rather than selfish, since in a year most of the
matter in your body will have been replaced, and the person who
survives is someone who looks like you and believes he is you, but
isn't really you.

--
Stathis Papaioannou