[ExI] apple mothership

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 19:28:10 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> What does an atheist offer, by comparison?  The honest equivalent would
> be hope and well wishes: same amount of effort, no illusion that the
> atheist
> is actually doing much to help.

True. But rather than offer an honest equivalent I prefer to offer a
superior alternative. And "hope" and "well wishes" are well up the slippery
slope to irrationality. If we're talking about a casual acquaintance, then
"Get well soon!" may be all you can honestly offer. But for a good friend or
a family member, something more is appropriate. And flowers are just silly.

>  (Which is not inherently a bad thing:
> everyone has limited resources, and any given person literally does not
> have
> the time to help everyone in need.  If this really is all that can be
> spared
> without causing other problems, then it is.)

Of course one shouldn't make an offer that one has no intention of or
ability to accept. So don't offer to help if you aren't prepared to make a
reasonable effort to do so. But an offer to help isn't a commitment: you
aren't promising to do whatever they ask, just advertising a willingness to
consider requests.

-Dave