[ExI] A Nobel laureate and climate change

Dennis May dennislmay at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 15 16:47:35 UTC 2011

My grandfather used to take the temperature readings for Unionville Missouri.
His data point represented the ground data for a few hundred square miles
even though the temperature over that much area can vary several degrees or
even as much as ten degrees when a storm front is moving through.  His house
was located on a high spot next to a state highway.  Shade trees came and went,
the nearby garden varied over the years, houses nearby were torn down and
replaced, a restaurant was located across the street, and traffic increased several
hundred percent over the years.  Since he was on a high spot he didn't record
the low areas in the hills nearby that are often 5 degrees colder in the mornings.

His data was still better than much of what was collected in heat island
cities or when the actual collection spots representing thousands of square
miles have been moved.  Never mind those located next to roof AC units,
black tar roofs, exhaust vents, and any number of problem spots.

Ocean temperature data has just begun - yet the oceans hold huge amounts
of heat readily changed out with the atmosphere.

All of this is besides the point that the modeling is no where near sufficient
to make any of the ever changing claims made to date.  Every year or so
another huge variable is discovered to have been modeled inadequately,
not at all, or in reverse of its actual effect.

Political science - the APS should retract its statement and wait for the
science - which is only now beginning and has a long ways to go before
making predictions.

Dennis