[ExI] Nukes was less expensive energy

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 22:46:03 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 8:06 PM,  Dennis May <dennislmay at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The projections of what will happen economically
> without massive nuclear energy development is
> not pretty.? Even if that effort began immediately
> it is not clear it could happen fast enough.

The length of time it takes to build nuclear plants is a big reason to
look at other approaches.  I am not at all sure even what is the best
approach or mix of approaches to get really inexpensive energy.  I can
state that it need to be down in the 1-2 cents per kWh.  That's $800
to $1600 per kW based on return of capital in ten years and it needs
to scale to 15-20 TW over 20 years.

That's building around a 1000 1 GW reactors per year.

I have not looked into this in detail.  I have looked into SBSP and
StratoSolar and they look possible.  Perhaps you know about reactors?

It seems better to me at this stage to state what is needed in broad
terms rather than being too specific about how to accomplish the task.

Keith