[ExI] Automated black-box-based system design of unsupervised hyperintelligent learning systems

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Mon Sep 19 23:05:14 UTC 2011

Mike Dougherty wrote:

>David, re: parent's children being smarter - It's the cliche dichotomy
>of nature vs. nurture.  Does a formal system train more or less
>equivalent wetware to perform at a higher level or is there something
>inherent to a better brain?  If you believe better brains are based on
>genetics, then super-intelligence is a matter of isolating the best
>genes - right?  If training, then what is wrong with the current
>training regimen that we're short of our potential?  Are we short of
>it?   I hope we are.  I'm not sure if this topic has been done to
>death here, though I haven't seen it in the last 3 years if it was
>done long ago.

A friend of mine retired from nuclear engineering to closely following
the psychometric research and rigorously responding whenever he
sees sloppy writing on the subject.

He sums up the research on the heritability of intelligence here:

http://members.cox.net/variance/pages/heritability.htm

If anyone has any concrete questions on intelligence, I can forward
them to him.

We, here, have a particular need to be on top of what is known
about the malleability of intelligence; enhancing our own is an
abiding extropian interest.

-- David.