[ExI] Faster than light??

john clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 24 04:20:00 UTC 2011

 On Fri, 9/23/11, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

"The energy of the neutrinos from SN 1987 was measured, and was 10-20 MeV [...] The CNGS beam had an average energy of 17 GeV (!). So it had more energetic neutrinos that ought to travel slower if they were tachyons."

I believe that 17 Gev figure refers to the energy of the protons in the beam that produces the neutrinos not to the energy of the neutrinos themselves.

"But they had a velocity of around 3 times the speed of light!"

I thought they said they only measured a velocity 20 parts in a million faster than light.

 John K Clark