[ExI] More on Neutrinos

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Sep 30 16:30:01 UTC 2011

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Dennis May
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2011 8:23 AM
To: extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org
Subject: [ExI] More on Neutrinos

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/47283

I found Comment 18 an interesting take:

18. Jarek DudaSep 24, 2011 3:00 AMCracow, Poland

Here is very interesting article about possible error sources:
 <http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2011/09/neutrino-results-depend-on-exquisite-measurements-of-time-space.ars> arstechnica.com…ts-of-time-space.ars
Good argument that neutrinos travels at speed of light is that while supernova they are observed simultaneously with photons ... however, there for example remain possibility that neutrinos can be accelerated to larger velocities, but EM field quickly decelerates them to speed of EM field propagation (through kind of Cherenkov radiation?).

Dennis May

They would need an electric charge for Cherenkov radiation to apply, unless they were somehow causing a charge to appear in the diffuse interstellar matter and an acceleration.  So the Cherenkov radiation explanation isn’t compelling, but the core message might have merit: that some unknown interaction over vast time and distance somehow slows a superluminal neutrino to c.  We should at least keep it on the list of crazy ideas to try to explain the CERN results, even if we find the whole notion insulting to our sensibilities.  Recognizing my tendency to be physically conservative, I struggling against being such a physics church lady.