[ExI] The NSA's new data center

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 08:26:47 UTC 2012

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Kelly Anderson wrote:
<snip>
> Look, here is the bottom line. If you live long enough, eventually
> there will be some part of the future that you REALLY don't like. It
> is one reason why so many old people are grumpy about the way things
> are now. If you want LONG life, you're going to have to adjust and
> give up some (and eventually most) of what you think is important
> today.

Disagree.  LONG life gives you time to prepare your life just the way
you want it.
Especially if you don't have the physical and mental failings, aches,
pains and diseases of old age that is the main thing that makes old
folk grumpy.

Every stage of society has fashions, fads, customs, but people don't
have to join in with everything. As just one example, today there are
still people who don't have a mobile phone by choice and feel they
have a better life without one. (Or only have an emergency phone that
is mostly switched off).

> Look. You brought up the thing about burglars, right? Well, if the
> burglars don't have any privacy either, then they are going to be damn
> easy to catch. Maybe burglary will become a thing of the past. I don't
> want burglars to know about my habits today because they still have
> privacy rights. When they don't, then I don't need privacy rights to
> protect myself from them. At least the need is lessened.

I think Eugen is making the point that privacy at present is not equal
for everyone.
Today there are lambs surrounded by wolves.
Share everything, go with the flow --- makes you into one of the
lambs, ready to be fleeced.

But protecting against wolves takes effort. On a sliding scale, from
simple easy basic steps to setting up as advanced security systems as
you want to spend time on.

Don't try to live in the future too soon! Protect against today's
problems and aim for the future.

BillK