[ExI] The NSA's new data center

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 03:25:54 UTC 2012

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 3:21 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> I am only talking about what is feasible. NSA is a pretty conservative
> shop, so I don't think they'd be pushing the envelope.

I'm honestly a little confused by this statement Eugen... The NSA
employs the top graduates in mathematics, computer science and
cryptography. They likely have the most advanced super computers in
the world.
http://www.ltionline.com/news/nsa-to-use-latest-supercomputing-capabilities-to-combat-threats-to-u-s/

They are rumored to build their own hardware when the occasion
warrants. They have one of, if not the largest database on the planet.
They almost certainly have the best decryption software. They have
leading edge technology to analyze billions of satellite photographs
from the best spy satellites out there, taking pictures with less than
6 inches of resolution (some say much less). If that's not leading
edge, I don't know what is.

So how is it that you can say they are "conservative" and not "pushing
the envelope"? It just seems like a rather outlandish claim...

-Kelly