[ExI] experiment regarding ethical behaviors vs status

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 03:33:23 UTC 2012

2012/3/27 John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com>:
> I really enjoyed reading The Millionaire Mind and The Millionaire Next Door,
> which strongly supported how being able to defer gratification, save &
> invest money, not get divorced, buy used, and live relatively simply, are
> all key factors to becoming wealthy.

Don't forget the experiment they did on 4 year olds where if they
could wait a few minutes before eating a piece of candy they got two
pieces... and doing a long term study, they found that those who could
wait the few minutes to get the two pieces of candy did overwhelmingly
better in life. Fascinating study, heard about it in a TED talk, I
think.

> Kelly Anderson:
>> As both a rich person and as a poor person, I always buy used. I
>> always pay cash. That's because I'm smart, and not stuck on the status
>> issue. Then again, maybe if I had a better car in college, I would
>> have attracted a saner girl, and that would have helped an awful
>> lot... LOL...
>
> Hmmm....  I knew of a guy in college who drove an extremely expensive luxury
> car, and women would routinely leave notes on it, giving their names and
> digits, with a message that he should call them up and arrange a date! lol
> But were these quality gals?  And in another instance, an ex-gf's mother
> married her husband in college, because he promised her that he was going
> places and would eventually become rich!  Well, he did get a PhD in
> economics, but never really became wealthy (just borderline upper
> middleclass), and she has spent the past forty years years making his life
> highly unpleasant, in part because of his "broken" promise...

Well, if there is anything that I truly KNOW, it is that I have not
had a stellar record in choosing good women to marry. I'm an expert at
picking out REAL WINNERS... let me tell you. So, while I don't know if
a sexy car would have changed anything, if it was just a random throw
of the dice different, it might have worked out quite differently. Of
course, then I would have probably been a Mormon bishop by now... LOL.

-Kelly