[ExI] China to Own the Moon by 2027

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Apr 2 06:31:20 UTC 2012

On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 04:30:24PM -0600, Kelly Anderson wrote:

> I don't remember discussing this here, maybe before I was here... but
> it's a big deal that we should consider on this list.

There's the only way to claim land: ability to defend it. I don't
see how can any state attempt to claim the whole of the Moon, if anything,
it would be some strategic locations (area at the poles, some mineral
deposits, etc).

I don't see how US in a position to barter away something that isn't
theirs.

A kind of a testing ground is Antarctica. If mining moves there and
somebody contests the 1959 treaty then we'll likely see the same pattern
on the Moon.