[ExI] The silent PV revolution

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 07:06:53 UTC 2012

On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 9:16 AM, Mirco Romanato <painlord2k at libero.it> wrote:
> Il 06/04/2012 10:40, Eugen Leitl ha scritto:
>> Are you actually saying that renewables are a scam, to milk the
>> gullible?
>
> I think so.

Mirco,

You are right to a point. When the government unnaturally props up
renewables, it is a scam. When the marketplace needs renewables, then
it is not. One day, perhaps in the not too distant future according to
some very smart people, solar photovoltaics will be economically
competitive with coal. When it is, then it will no longer be a scam.
But until the market is asking for it naturally and on it's own,
without provocation from the government, then you'll see it become
real. For now, with government driven Ponzi schemes falling apart all
over the world, it looks like more of a joke than it ever has been
before.

When you have companies like Solera getting a half a billion dollars
from the government, spending it, then going out of business, it's
easy to get skeptical. But I would encourage you to point your
skepticism at the governments, not at the opportunists who are lining
up to lap at the teats of big government. Those who are REALLY
interested in solar photovoltaics will serve the small marketplace
(cabins and such) that naturally exists until technology reaches the
point that we can make it pay for more and more people. Eventually, I
think it will be profitable for all of us, and at that point it will
be ubiuqitous, and we'll wonder why didn't people ALWAYS do it this
way. The answer is the same as to why haven't they always built CPUs
as fast as they are today... it takes engineering and science, and
that takes time and builds on past successes.

-Kelly