[ExI] Life must be everywhere!

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Sat Apr 14 16:49:20 UTC 2012

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012, Tomasz Rola wrote:

> I was thinking of the other end of this "pan-sperm adventures", i.e.
> landing on a remote body. Escape velocity for Solar System is 525 km/s.
> This is how fast - at a minimum - an ejecta will have to go to make it
> anywhere.
>
> One can play with impact effect calculator, here:
>
> http://impact.ese.ic.ac.uk/ImpactEffects/
>
> to see how hard (or maybe easy) actually it is going to be for any life to
> survive an impact with Earth-like planet. I assume if I could got burned
> alive standing at 100 km distance from impact of 1km-radius iron body
> running at 525 kmps, the effect is like quite a big nuclear weapon blast.
> How much life survived at test epicenters? Without looking for data, I
> guesstimate everything close to impact will get sterilized.

It is no better with smaller objects, which evaporate during atmospheric
entry. Again, I assume temperature alone is enough to get rid of a life
problem. Deceleration is going to improve this, I think.

Add to this millions of years it takes to get somewhere inside 20ly
radius. All those years ejecta is subject to all kind of radiation - full
spectra, actually, including possibility of supernova during such a long
time.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola