[ExI] Memories are stored in individual neurons

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 12:01:24 UTC 2012

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/123485-mit-discovers-the-location-of-memories-individual-neurons

http://www.mit.edu/newsoffice/2012/conjuring-memories-artificially-0322.html

"MIT researchers have shown, for the first time ever, that memories are stored in specific brain cells. By triggering a small cluster of neurons, the researchers were able to force the subject to recall a specific memory. By removing these neurons, the subject would lose that memory . . ."

This is an amazing discovery that I think would be very relevant to the brain-simulation strategy of AI development. The scientific article is behind a paywall so I can't give an informed opinion on the data but it is MIT and the group did publish in Nature so it is likely credible.

Stuart LaForge

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." -Thucydides.