[ExI] Memories are stored in individual neurons

Max More max at maxmore.com
Mon Apr 16 17:11:25 UTC 2012

The headline about "individual neurons" seems to be misleading. Even if
individual neurons were targeted, the researchers are actually talking
about activating small clusters of neurons. How small is small? No
information is provided. Small might mean dozens, hundreds, or even
thousands.

If anyone has access to the full article behind the paywall, I would be
very interested in reading it -- both personally and because it's important
to cryonics.

--Max

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 5:01 AM, The Avantguardian <
avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/123485-mit-discovers-the-location-of-memories-individual-neurons
>

> http://www.mit.edu/newsoffice/2012/conjuring-memories-artificially-0322.html
>

> "MIT researchers have shown, for the first time ever, that memories are
> stored in specific brain cells. By triggering a small cluster of neurons,
> the researchers were able to force the subject to recall a specific memory.
> By removing these neurons, the subject would lose that memory . . ."
> ------------------------------------
>
> This is an amazing discovery that I think would be very relevant to the
> brain-simulation strategy of AI development. The scientific article is
> behind a paywall so I can't give an informed opinion on the data but it is
> MIT and the group did publish in Nature so it is likely credible.
>
> Stuart LaForge
>

> "The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its
> thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." -Thucydides.

Max More, PhD
Strategic Philosopher
Co-editor, *The Transhumanist Reader*
CEO, Alcor Life Extension Foundation