[ExI] Finally!

Alan Grimes agrimes at speakeasy.net
Sat Apr 21 20:55:55 UTC 2012

Brent Allsop wrote:

> And I think it's still going to take a bit more than a $billion to discover
> and fully achieve phenomenal mind uploading.

Google just confirmed that is the first time anyone has used that phrase
so therefore I don't know what you mean by that "phenomenal" adjective.

> (which, by the way would
> solve all world problems, including aging, disease, expensive, risky,
> space travel... making these early space efforts still a complete moral
> waist of time leading to the damnation of how many more people
> unnecessarily rotting in the grave?)

I completely disagree on all points.

> At least this latest effort is more than one gazillionare working
> together.  Do you think even a handful of gazillionares like this will
> be enough to do something real, like mining of asteroids?  I have my
> doublts, they'll likely quickly find some minor issue to disagree on and
> take a my way or the highway path.  But if we could get everyone on
> board, knowing and doing what everyone at the bottom truly wanted, in an
> amplification of the moral wisdom of the crowd,  consensus building way,
> then we could all work together to really accomplish something great.

Probably not. There are definitely some serious structural flaws with
our society such as all the invasions of other countries that no sane
person wants yet continue to get started at horribly regular intervals.
Most recently Libya was bombed back to the stone age, now it's Syria's
turn. =(

But there probably aren't that many people who would/could actually
strive for something interesting given vast resources...

Furthermore, I have a tree of technologies that I want to develop. My
willingness to cooperate with uploaders is strictly limited by the
overlap of my tree and your tree. Furthermore, I do not trust uploaders
to respect my values and therefore would not risk attempting to start a
mutual back-scratching session with them.

My reason for this mistrust is that when I express my point of view I
don't get in reply "oh, that's interesting, my point of view is
different" but rather "You're wrong and your philosophy is bad."
Furthermore I have consistently opposed taking steps that would unleash
a process that would render the universe incompatible with all known
forms of DNA based life. The uploaders don't seem to recognize that as a
priority at all.

--
E T F
N H E