[ExI] relevant skills movement, was: RE: emp again

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 18:17:43 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 10:49 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> So, if we recognize that mastery of arithmetic such as long division takes
> time that can be used on more relevant skills but trains the mind, I can go
> two routes with it: arithmetic either makes children smart or makes them
> stupid.

It is a much better "waste" of time than most of the rest of what
they do.  If you are looking to optimize their training, this is one
of the last bits to consider - as in, good odds that you won't have
to go this far before optimizing to your satisfaction.

A much better optimization is to simply get them interested in
scientific or technical matters, at all.  For too many children,
these are presented as intense and complicated but without
obvious reward.  You and I know that there is a reward; it seems
obvious to us only because we have been aware of it for so long.
It is easy to lose track of the perspective of a child - or adult -
who has literally never known the joys of knowing how the
universe works, and can thus justify a believe that learning this
is not worth doing.