[ExI] relevant skills movement, was: RE: emp again

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 19:51:20 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 8:04 PM, spike wrote:
> Define please this term "money?"

Money is the tokens I use to exchange for goods or services when I
don't want the time, date and list of items stored in my database
record.

> Ja, thanks for the reminder of how far we have already come.  Locally there
> is no key-in error.  In those places that still have checkers, they scan bar
> codes of the products and you swipe your card.  Where I do my regular
> trading now, they have self-checkout, which I love because I don't need to
> deal with actual proles.  It's all machines all the time.  They love it too
> because the proles do not need to deal with actual geeks.  Everyone wins.

Yes, even in the medieval UK we have these machines as well in the supermarkets.

The key-in error comes when your bill comes to 7.13 and you give the
checker a 10 note and 13 in coins. They have to stare in amazement,
then attempt to key-in 10.13 correctly so the till can calculate the
correct change for them.

We also have self-checkout lanes (or shoplifter lanes as they are
commonly known). They are supposed to be supervised by staff, but it
is so boring that they don't bother much. It is easy to have a
distraction where one person needs the staff to rush over to help
while the other shoplifter walks stuff through on another till.
I don't use them unless I only have 1 or 2 items and I'm in a hurry.
Mainly because I don't wish to do unpaid work for the supermarket. I'd
rather loiter in the till queue, people watching and musing on their
dress and the items they have purchased. There is often a queue for
the self-checkout tills as well, so there is not much time difference.

You should also teach probability and stats as soon as possible.
Financial maths is also very useful. Compound interest is very
relevant to amassing debt. Coming out of college with 100,000 debt
load should be avoided if possible.

BillK

BillK