[ExI] Pistorius

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 13:05:55 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 4:53 AM, Ben Zaiboc <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes, but (1) shoes probably don't confer an advantage, (2) there are
> rules
> > governing shoes, and (3) shoes aren't a part of the human body. There
> need
> > to be rules governing prostheses ensuring they don't provide an
> advantage.
>
> I think many running shoe manufacturers would disagree with you on (1)!

Duh. Nonetheless, barefoot runners have set world records, won world
championships, and won Olympic gold medals.

> And so would I, as shoes in general clearly do confer an advantage over
> bare feet.  This is just as true in running as it is in walking down the
> street.  If you doubt this, try stepping on just one small piece of gravel
> in bare feet, then try it again wearing running shoes.

If you wear shoes all the time, your feet get soft and you have to wear
shoes. Yes, shoes have benefits, but I don't think it's been proven that
they make people run faster.

> In the sense that each cell in their body has their DNA and has been part
> > of their body since before they were born and the "modifications" allowed
> > are achieved through natural, biological processes, not a machine shop.
>
> This is an impractical distinction.  First, at some point we'll be able to
> mimic the natural biological processes so that the difference between
> natural and artificial effectively disappears,

But we're nowhere near that point yet.

> and second, your definition would rule out advantages obtained via somatic
> mutations occurring after birth (natural ones as well as artificial ones),
> but how could you tell?  The only practical solution would be to obtain a
> full DNA sequence of a person prior to birth and compare it to a full
> sequence obtained just prior to competing in an event (of course when I say
> 'practical'...).

I don't think a DNA test is required to prove that Pistorious' legs aren't
natural. My answer above wasn't intended to provide a mechanism for testing
athletes and, of course, it likely wouldn't be practical.

The whole thing just breaks down completely.  In effect, our advancing
> technology will pretty much destroy sport as we now know it.  This, in a
> sense, mirrors transhumanism in general, as technology will pretty much
> destroy 'humanity' as we know it.

Yeah, maybe someday. But not today.

We are entering a 'trans-sport' period, and will soon be in a 'post-sport'
> one.

I doubt it, but, if so, that's a shame.

-Dave