[ExI] We need fresh ideas!

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 01:12:41 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 7:32 PM, david pizer <pizerdavid at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Developing the technology to allow the reversal of aging to permit virtual
> physical immortality is the ultimate goal of most cryonicists.

I don't know many cryonicists "irl" but i understood the goals of that
demographic to be quite different from what you claim.

> Many of us believe that technology may be within the laws of physics but it
> may be centuries before we humans control that technology.

Who is us?

> So the logical question should be - How can we speed up the development of
> reversible suspended animation technology now?
> The answer is that we need more resources.

That may be true (or not), however it's also the cure for ever other
problem people are having too.  There's a lot of competition for those
resources.  Then of course the answer is to make more resources... no,
that's not right.  The answer is to eliminate all competition to free
more resources for "us"  (again, who is us?)  Perhaps the answer is us
don't know the answer.

> To get more resources faster we need to convince more people that
> cryopreservation is possible and encourage them to want to make it happen
> and to join with us now. It is through more membership that more resources
> will become available. Larger membership is the key to faster development of
> technology. More members means more money, more volunteer labor, more public
> acceptance.

I wish anything could be this simple.

> So for those people who are reading this and who want to increase their odds
> of surviving death you need to ask yourself if you are doing everything you
> can to bring more resources to the cryopreservation movement?
> I would like to see some meaningful discussion on what other cryoncists are
> doing to help us reach our goals and what you think we should be doing now
> that we are not doing now.

Do you realize how silly the expression "surviving death" sounds?
Perhaps a competely new approach would be beneficial for making this
whole thing sound less crazy?

If I live to be old, I've paid my dues in lfe and in some sense
"deserve" to see the future.  I might have some wisdom to offer, but
only if I manage to stay aware of the limited domain of my life and
the environment in which it was lived.  I doubt I'd have much wisdom
to offer in my final years if I were transported to another part of
the country/world/etc.  So imagine I'm just an old man with nothing
useful to offer.  I doubt many people want to feel this kind of
useless.  How do you convince me that 100 years of exponential
acceleration in the rate of change in tech (and culture, etc) that my
post-legal-death reanimated self has anything at all to offer the
future?  I can't believe there's much need for "living" fossils or
museum pieces and I also doubt that the future needs no-names from the
past to make into celebrities.  If you can't convince me, who is
sympathetic to this cause, how can you convince the so-called average
prole?