[ExI] Explaining technical matters

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 12:18:00 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 6:25 AM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know how to express non-linear equations to where the masses
> (or even technically astute people) are going to appreciate the
> difference in performance between laser heated water and laser heated
> hydrogen without looking into the "rocket science" of the situation.
>
> Any ideas?

Probably no.  I imagine Joe six-pack would have as difficult a time
convincing you of the "fun" of his Friday night too.

My wife asked a very astute question:  Why has landing on Mars gotten
so much more attention than the confirmation of the Higgs boson?  I
suppose it has a lot to do with the fact that people can imagine the
rover being "like a car" that went all the way to another planet while
fundamental particles in a pantheon of science is too abstract for
most.

Perhaps by analogy?  Compare late 1800's coal-fired steam engine with
modern maglev trains..  or some principle that's even easier to see: a
mylar balloon filled with helium vs latex balloon filled with exhaled
breath.  Which one floats in air?  Why?