[ExI] bexarotene papers

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Aug 10 14:52:13 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Ben Zaiboc
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2012 6:44 AM
To: extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org
Subject: Re: [ExI] bexarotene papers

"spike" <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> EXCELLENT!  They FIXED IT!  Now the article reads:
>
>> "...The unreimbursed cost of treating an Alzheimer's disease patient
> with bexarotene would make this a treatment option only for the very
> wealthy. And to the extent that Alzheimer's patients would likely
> quickly deplete stores of bexarotene..."

>...Spike, I don't call this 'fixing it'.

>...They've just reworded it to omit any mention of time.  This is still
consistent with the original wording, so anybody reading it will not realise
it was wrong.

>...To fix it, they need to explicitly issue an erratum, saying the previous
version was wrong, and it should have said 'per month'.  I doubt that will
ever happen now.  :<  Ben Zaiboc

Ben that occurred to me too, but I was in a panic to stop some silly prole
from overdosing their AD relative with a factor of 30 overdose.
Furthermore, once this correction is made, the statement is no longer true.
At 1200 to 2400 a month, Targretin is not an option only for the very
wealthy.  That is a fairly typical drug cost for plenty of conditions.  An
average family could carry that load, if the stuff works, and doesn't do
more harm than good.  There are plenty of ways to cut back and come up with
1200 to 2400 a month, and this is waaay cheaper than elder care, way
cheaper.

Now that the panic has subsided, I am open to suggestions on how to proceed.
I posted a correction in their commentary section, so perhaps I will let it
go at that.