[ExI] self driving cars again

david deimtee at optusnet.com.au
Sun Aug 12 15:49:05 UTC 2012

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 07:14:54 -0700
"spike" <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

<snip>

> >...Think of it as doing for automobiles what time-sharing operating
> >systems
> did for computers. One side-effect: if we only need a tenth as many
> cars, we can make the individual cars much nicer than the average tin
> box on wheels. -- Charlie
>
> Good thinking Charlie!

With a smart enough despatching system covering the area, you could use
a fleet of electric cars. You could even make cross country trips,
meeting and transferring to a new car each time the battery gets low.
They monitor their charge (as does the system), and if there isn't
enough left to make the trip, a charged car meets you on the
way. Lots of potential for a smart system.

-David.