[ExI] symmetrical 11-Venn discovered

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 00:51:00 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 12:30 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> Kewall!
>
> I have long wondered about this.  If you draw a Venn diagram with the usual
> three sets which creates eight distinct regions, it is pretty
> straightforward, but it gets wacky complicated really fast.  The number of
> regions is 2^n, where n is the number of sets.  So what does a 4-Venn look
> like?  Can you draw one?  Check this, they claim to have discovered a way to
> make a symmetrical 11-Venn.  It looks right to me:
>
> http://cartesianproduct.wordpress.com/2012/08/12/venn-diagrams-for-11-sets/

Is there a relationship to fractal imagery?  Why are the numbers prime?

Perhaps outside the math nerdery, but why do some people find images
like this so compelling and beautiful?  I guess also interesting would
be why others simply do not.

I feel like Richard Dreyfuss' character in "Close Encounters..."
staring at a pile of mashed potatoes saying, "this is important"
despite having no idea why.