[ExI] symmetrical 11-Venn discovered

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Aug 15 08:59:41 UTC 2012

On 2012-08-15 09:49, scerir wrote:
> Anders:
>> I wonder if these fractals can be seen as the quantum mechanical
>> analog to a random walk of a particle?
>
> Actually if one looks at those "quantum carpets" (link below)
> http://www.phy.bris.ac.uk/people/berry_mv/the_papers/berry329.pdf
> one has the perception of a sort of "walk", more ordered than random.

Yeah, quantum mechanics is very ordered and "clean". It is ironic in the
same way as relativity theory is about the things that are absolute to
all observers.

Quantum chaos and whether it was "real" chaos or not was rather ho6tly
discussed when I was doing a bit of dynamical systems. It still seems to
be an active problem: it is not obvious how you can get sensitive
dependence on initial condition out of a system where everything is
essentially linear.

My own take on it is that the sloppiness and uncertainty we have about
not just initial conditions but the exact system we are dealing with (we
can never make exact boxes, there are slight disturbing external fields
etc) produces more than enough randomness to smear out the nice quantum
carpet regularities.

But the underlying mathematics of why we get such random structures as
are shown on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_chaos still remains
unclear: it might just be that it is a consequence of "borrowed"
nonlinearity from force laws that makes the quantum states behave
chaotically.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute