[ExI] More ranting on power sats

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Aug 15 17:35:15 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 01:24:47PM -0400, John Clark wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > It does as well per area as PV does in the brightest part of a clear day,
> > but a rectenna produces that level of power virtually all the time.
> >

> Considering the vast effort involved I'd really expect it to do better than
> that. One of the main problems with solar is the vast amount of land

The vast amount of land already covered with roofs, buildings and other
structures, you mean?

> required due to the dilute nature of sunlight, and power satellites do not

You say dilute, I say Goldilocks. Houses can be self-powering, and no
roof has melted down into a puddle of corium yet.

> solve that problem.

That's because that is not the problem they're trying to solve.
The problem they're trying to power PW scale cultures.