[ExI] magnet toys

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 07:38:09 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 12:07 AM, Anders Sandberg wrote:
> They were sold as buckyballs on ThinkGeek, although there has been concerns
> about kids ingesting them (and you really don't want rare earths magnets
> sticking across intestines, ow ow ow!) So together with the "Bucky Balls
> Could Double Your Lifespan" thread I got a weird crossover.

Yes, The CPSC is trying to ban them and there are lawsuits in progress.

<http://www.aboutlawsuits.com/buckyball-toy-ban-31041/>

For young children, these ball-bearings magnets look very like the
silver balls decoration on fancy cakes. And older children have used
them to simulate tongue and lip piercings. And it is difficult for
adults to know if one or two from the 200 box have gone missing.

On the other hand children get far more injuries from garden
trampolines or skateboards.

BillK