[ExI] cost of SBSP and thorium

Brent Neal brentn at brentneal.me
Sat Aug 18 20:54:59 UTC 2012

On 18 Aug, 2012, at 15:18, Keith Henson wrote:

> However, the time scale involved (which I don't understand at all)
> makes them a questionably choice.  Any thoughts on why even the
> Chinese think it will take 20 years?

This is confusing to me as well. Making fluoride salts of actinides is a well known technology. Molten salt reactors have existed, as has been pointed out here, for years. The only thing I can figure is that there are some issues with fuel handling and heat management that we were cavalier about in the 60s that need to be dealt with now. But that's not a 2-decade problem, that's a half-decade problem…

Brent Neal, Ph.D.
http://www.brentneal.me
<brentn at brentneal.me>