[ExI] Sleep (was Re: Dreams...)

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 21:58:19 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:48 PM, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> Nevertheless, I have often reflected upon what a fuller life we could
> have if the sleep cycle could be shortened or even eliminated. I would
> think this would be a common transhumanist desire, but we haven't
> discussed it in the time I've been on the list. If there is work being
> done on radical life extension, it seems equally valid to research the
> shortening of the sleep cycle, as both give you more time, which is
> the ultimate transhumanist desire... I would suppose.

The dangers of sleep deprivation are well known. It is commonly used
as a form of torture.

There was a news item today:
<http://www.kurzweilai.net/cramming-for-a-test-dont-do-it-say-ucla-researchers>

Cramming for a test? Don’t do it, say UCLA researchers
Lack of sleep just makes it worse     August 21, 2012

Sacrificing sleep for extra study time, whether it’s cramming for a
test or plowing through a pile of homework, is actually
counterproductive, they UCLA researchers report.

Better to just enjoy your sleep.  I look forward to meeting Marilyn
every night.   :)

BillK