[ExI] pussy riot case

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 10:06:05 UTC 2012

On 22 August 2012 18:31, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> A divorce gets filed, officially and formally, thus ending the obligation.
> A change such as what you mention can be one reason for a divorce,
> but there is still an announced transition from oath-bound to on longer
> oath-bound.

I think we mix up different levels. Under the law in your and my country, a
marriage under the law is a contract which can be terminated by either
party, basically at will, even though the failure to perform your marital
duties before that may involve a liability.

OTOH, many kinds of wedding ceremonies, especially those of a religious
nature, usually involve a personal oath to the other party "for ever, and
ever" (not so under the Shari'a, which allows as well  marriages lasting
from one day to 99 years, AFAIK).

Now, I am far from being a great fan of marriage, be it for straight or gay
people, but Irrespective of the fact that such promise is not legally
enforceable, do we really have doubts that divorcing is a breach of one's
word?

--
Stefano Vaj