[ExI] 3d printers for sale

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 21:28:44 UTC 2012

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> LOL. Seriously though, can't the 3d printers available today only
> print certain parts of themselves? I thought there were still some
> metal parts and such that had to be fabricated the old fashioned way.

Yep.  There is a lot of work being put into making those few
remaining pieces.

Part of it is, you have to find a set of tools that can make
themselves.  Anything computer-driven, for instance, could
only use chips that (in theory) the tools could themselves
make.  Most efforts seem to be missing that, and think that
getting to "99%" (by volume or mass) is substantial
progress toward 100%.