[ExI] Fwd: [ZS] Project RES: #cryptoparties

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 14:14:21 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Ben Zaiboc wrote:
> Hilarious that every one of those links tries to set cookies and/or brings up warnings about insecure content.

And that is exactly why I don't try to inflict too much security on
people that don't understand what is going on. It just frightens them
and makes the situation worse.

Every one of billions of web sites sets cookies. You need to learn
about cookie control. Cookies won't harm your computer, but some can
be used for tracking and advert purposes.

The 'insecure content' message is a general caution that there *might*
be something insecure on a web page. Most people that understand web
site design switch those warnings off, because they are virtually
worthless.

To be specific:
A web page may contain several CSS and JavaScript files and these may
be getting served from different locations. If the page is served over
https but the associated files are served from a non-secure http
website, the browser will display the “insecure content” warning.
It is a feature of the website design, not  a danger. Just switch the
warnings off if you are panicking.

You can have too much of a good thing, you know.  ;)

BillK