[ExI] keynes vs hayek again, was: RE: 3d printers for sale

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 22:49:36 UTC 2012

On 27 August 2012 22:36, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> I am often thinking about this, since I live an ultra-privileged life as
> an Oxford scholar. Sure, I do grant hunting and need to publish or perish,
> but let's face it: it is a creative job with no heavy lifting, light
> demands and very flexible hours in a lovely place.

Mmhhh.  I suspect that "creative" work, either as a philosopher or a music
composer or an entrepreneur or even a politician, can actually be much more
demanding, competitive, challenging and actually painful and/or risky than
a 9-to-5 clerk-level employment.

And for sure I do not envy, say, the stupid but unavoidable daily tasks of
Queen Elizabeth, for that matter.

It is true however that the higher you are on the social ladder the more
likely you are to find yourself in a better position to manage yourself
rather than having others managing you.

But I am not sure this has much to do with *working* or finding some niche
where you do not.

--
Stefano Vaj